Charity comedy night at Komedia
Calling all comedy lovers! To mark Disability History Month (22nd November – 22nd December) the University of Brighton are putting on a fantastic night of laughs and frivolity at Brighton’s much loved venue, Komedia. The event takes place on Monday 18th December from 7pm.
Possability People are thrilled to be the beneficiary of The University of Brighton’s ‘Funny to a Degree’ fundraising night. The event features a range of fantastic performers, many of whom have personal experience of living with a disability, as well as a very generous array of raffle prizes.
The line-up features:
- MC Julie Jepson – Funny Women Comedy Awards finalist. ‘Truly fabulous’ (BBC).
- Romina Puma – As with her solo show ‘Not Disabled…Enough!’ comedian and campaigner Romina will make you laugh at things you didn’t even know were funny!
- Don Biswas – Political comedian and dyspraxic gag merchant! Don’s solo show ‘Left-wing Conspiracy Theorist’ is hitting the Edinburgh Fringe next year.
- Aidan Goatley – Komedia regular Aidan has toured his debut show ’10 Films with my Dad’ across the world, from Europe to Dubai.
- Rosie Jones – Funny Women Finalist 2016, you’ll know Rosie from 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, Would I Lie to You? and The Last Leg.
- Laura Lexx – Amused Moose Comedy Award finalist, Laura’s solo show, Tyrannosaurus Lexx, was critically-acclaimed at the 2016 Edinburgh Fringe. ‘Real comedic steel’ (The Guardian).
Tickets £9/£7 concessions including NUS, 60+, unemployed, disabled people and carers. Komedia is a fully accessible venue and the evening will be British Sign Language (BSL) interpreted.
Disability History Month
The theme for this year’s Disability History Month is Disability and Art, and the evening is part of national celebrations of the achievements of disabled people in this field.
Act Romina Puma says
For me working in the arts means I can express myself and being disabled I can raise awareness through my comedy.”
Come and be part of the celebrations, be regaled by a host of fantastic comedians and support an amazing cause for less than a tenner this December! Fantastic prizes to be won!
This evening is being supported by some fantastic local Brighton businesses. Everyone who buys a ticket will be automatically entered to win a fantastic door prize of £100 meal vouchers for Proud Country House in Stanmer Park!
An incredible raffle will also raise additional funds for the charity, with prizes including:
- mid-week stay for two in sea-facing themed room at Hotel Pelirocco;
- two tickets for the opening night of War Horse at the Brighton Centre;
- afternoon tea for two at The Grand Brighton Hotel;
- spa treatment at the Brighton Harbour Hotel Luxury Hotel & Spa;
- food hamper from Julia Robinson Catering;
- two tickets to the Royal Pavilion;
- dual-ride on The Brighton Zip;
- cut and blow-dry at Headmasters.
About Possability People
Possability People supports disabled people to live independently. It’s Advice Centre deals with over 400 enquiries every month. The number of people coming to the charity for help keeps getting bigger whilst resources are stretched. The impact of their work is summed up by a volunteer, who states
I wouldn’t be where I am today without Possability People; I had no hope, no vision and no way out and now I have prospects for the future and the support that I need to fulfil my life the way that I want to…I’m attending one of Possability People’s courses, I’m employed as a member of staff and I still volunteer. Possability People have given me a chance that I never thought I would have or deserve.”
Ticket and venue information: tickets can be bought via the Komedia website: www.komedia.co.uk/brighton/comedy/funny-to-a-degree
UK Disability History Month
University of Brighton
Komedia – Brighton
For anyone who can’t make the event, but would still like to contribute, a fundraising page has been set up: fundraising page.