We have been working with The Disability Action Alliance on an Accessible Volunteering Charter
The Disability Action Alliance is a cross sector network of organisations committed to making a difference to the lives of disabled people.
Volunteering Matters Volunteering Charter Vision
A society in which the contribution of disabled people as volunteers is valued and volunteering opportunities are widely available on an equal and accessible basis.
To increase the number, value and accessibility of opportunities for disabled people to volunteer their time, skills and experience.
As an organisation we will:
- Provide opportunities for disabled people to volunteer
- Promote the value of volunteering to disabled people as a positive experience
- Set out and agree a structure for each volunteering opportunity
- Provide a named point of contact
- Provide appropriate support, make reasonable adjustments and reimburse reasonable costs
- Undertake regular reviews to support personal development
- Provide a reference wherever appropriate.
In return we expect our volunteers to:
- Embrace the values of our organisation
- Be responsible and professional
- Provide a full commitment
- Be open about what they want from the volunteering role and their support needs
How to Join
Groups who have already signed up
Lots of groups, including lots in Brighton and Hove, have already signed up. DAA Accessible Charter groups signed up